Connect with us

The Low Down

Why Star Wars’ First ComicCon Appearance Was Super Lowkey

Updated

on

Star Wars

Ever heard of a little project called Star Wars? Nowadays, there are countless sequels and spin-offs of this legendary franchise, but no one had ever heard of it back in the day. When the mind-blowing film series premiered at San Diego’s ComicCon event in 1976, you’d be surprised to see that there were more than a few empty seats in the room. Find out why Star Wars first ComicCon appearance was super lowkey.

A New Hope

Unbelievably, Star Wars didn’t always have the massive amount of clout that it does now. When it was first previewed at ComicCon, audience goers had no idea that they were in for a life-changing event. On July 20, 2017, Star Wars’ official Twitter account released some pretty vintage photos of its less than stellar turn out for its first ComicCon panel in the 70s. The film franchise’s Twitter account captioned the hilarious pics, “Roy Thomas and Howard Chaykin tell a less than packed audience about a film called Star Wars at @Comic_Con in 1976.”

If you haven’t heard of Roy Thomas and Howard Chaykin yet, these guys are basically Star Wars legends. Chaykin was one of the original cartoon artists for the comic book and Thomas actually helped Marvel to turn the Star Wars comic into a movie. At the premiere, the tiny audience gathered at the near-empty Star Wars premiere panel to view a few early “prevue” stills of A New Hope. As one of the last events of the day, the conference only lasted about an hour.

The Empire Strikes Back

As the OG Luke Skywalker, Mark Hamill was more than excited about the first Star Wars movie, despite its underwhelming reception at its first ComicCon. In 2013, Hamill told The Hollywood Reporter that back in 1976, “I hadn’t seen the special effects or heard John Williams’ score, but I knew it had ‘cult’ written all over it.” Hamill also shared with THR that, “I think those were the days it was still called The Star Wars. I had a feeling this thing couldn’t miss. It cost less than All the President’s Men that year, just $9.5 million.” Clearly, Hamill knew what he was talking about!

During the same 2013 interview, Hamill dished to THR that, “I thought, ‘It’ll make $40 million if it makes a dollar. Let’s say it gets panned by all the critics, relegated to matinees for kids, and only makes $5 million and there’s no sequel — still, it’s going to be so well received there’s no way it’s not going to become, like, a midnight movie shown on campuses.’ I said, ‘If this is even one-tenth of the fun to watch that it was to make, it’s gonna out-gross Planet of the Apes.’ We laughed so much when we were making it.” Incredibly, Hamill’s prediction was accurate – Star Wars: A New Hope grossed more than $1.6 billion, crushing the original Planet of the Ape’s profit of $32,589,624!

Return of the Jedi

After the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977, the world of sci-fi films was never the same. By 1980, George Lucas had already debuted its epic sequel, The Empire Strikes BackFollowing the success of that film, Lucas followed up with the third installment of the film franchise, 1983’s Return of the Jedi. Known as the original trilogy, these three films laid down the foundation of the Star Wars franchise for many fans. Of course, this was only the beginning for the movies series, as it led to the early 2000s prequel trilogy Episode I: The Phantom MenaceEpisode II: Attack of the Clones, and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. The rest is nerdy history!

Check out the tweet from Star Wars’ Twitter account here:

The Low Down

‘Stranger Things 4’ Teaser Trailer Could Confirm Hopper Is Actually Alive

Everyone’s favorite supernatural, science fiction thriller is returning for another season. Stranger Things announced on Sept. 30 that the hit Netflix original series was officially picked up for a fourth season. Fans were immediately thrilled at the news, but they have one major concern: Is Hopper really dead? Warning: Spoilers ahead! All About Season 3 Stranger Things 3, released on...

Published

on

Continue Reading

The Low Down

Did The Bachelor Couples Manage To Keep Their Love In Real Life?

‘The Bachelor’ franchise has led to a number of relationships and engagements over the years. Though just like the reality TV show’s iconic roses, the majority of romances wilt as soon as the cameras stop rolling and the contestants are removed from the Bachelor mansion or Paradise resort. Whether they found each other on screen or met as part of the Bachelor franchise family, or Bachelor Nation, here’s a look at what some of our favorite couples are up to today.

Published

on

Continue Reading

The Low Down

Michael Douglas Opens Up About Catherine Zeta-Jones After Nearly 20 Years Of Marriage

Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones are a powerhouse celebrity couple everyone loves. Meeting at the Deauville Film Festival in 1998, the two knew it was a match made in heaven. Nearly 20 years after saying "I do," Douglas says he still feels butterflies around his wife. Butterflies At Every Turn At the Emmys, Douglas spoke to Us Weekly about his Netflix series The...

Published

on

Continue Reading