Frugality means different things for different people. However, it’s always surprising when you see celebrities with millions (or billions!) in their pockets choosing to live more humble lifestyles than others in Hollywood.
Here’s our list of celebrities that are living way below their means. Think you can apply any of their money saving tips to your life?
1. Tiffany Haddish The actress’ first claim to fame was in the movie Girls Trip. Despite her success, she told PEOPLE that she doesn’t live extravagantly. Haddish still drives the same car — a Honda HR-V Hybrid — and totes around her knockoff Michael Kors bag. She did splurge on a Givenchy bag but Jada Pinkett Smith gifted her the Fendi bag she has. [caption id="attachment_31021" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Gareth Cattermole/GettyImages[/caption] She also still uses Groupon. She says of hanging out with her Girls Trip co-stars: “‘I got a Groupon for this cool restaurant’…They be like, ‘No Tiffany [we’ll] pay for it,’ and I’m like, ‘No let’s get it on a discount. We can use that money to help kids or something!’“ Net worth: $4 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This star once wore a trash bag to a P. Diddy party.
2. Ke$haThe electro-pop diva once told WWD magazine that: “My favorite stuff that I’ve ever found has been from trash cans…And I bought this incredible vest off a homeless guy recently.” Ke$ha has also worn an actual trash bag before when attending a P. Diddy White Party. She didn’t have a white top. [caption id="attachment_31022" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Matt Winkelmeyer/GettyImages[/caption] Instead of going shopping for a white shirt, Ke$ha saved some money by wearing a white Hefty bag. Unfortunately, Ke$ha was locked in a legal battle against her producer Dr. Luke and possibly spent a lot of money on that. Net worth: $5 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This Mad Men actor lives a minimal lifestyle by choice.
3. Vincent KartheiserHe spent many years on the highly successful TV show Mad Men — enough for him to cash in on a phat house with a pool and multiple BMW cars, right? Instead of living a life of luxury, Vincent Kartheiser bought himself a 580-square-foot home in Hollywood, reported Dwell in 2018. [caption id="attachment_31023" align="aligncenter" width="720"] Frazer Harrison/GettyImages[/caption] The home is beautiful, although small, and was created by designer and builder Funn Roberts. It has everything Kartheiser needs — bed, kitchen, bath, and even a sauna! He’s also known for taking public transport instead of driving. Net worth: $5 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This Twilight actress said she learned frugality from her father.
4. Ashley GreenePlaying Alice Cullen (Edward’s sister) in the vampire movie series Twilight probably got Greene a pretty penny. Instead of throwing a bunch of frivolous things in her shopping cart, the actress told magazine Marie Claire that she saved up to pay off car payments and buy a house. This responsible behavior was instilled in her by her father. [caption id="attachment_31024" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Rodin Eckenroth/GettyImages[/caption] “I’m lucky because my dad taught me to be frugal and save,” Insider reported Green saying. “And that’s important because I want to know that I don’t have to take an acting job for two or three years if I don’t want to.” Net worth: $8 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: Which star in The Divergent series do you think is the most frugal?
5. Shailene WoodleyAn avid advocate for the environment, Woodley chooses to purchase used clothes over new ones. Despite being well off, Herald Weekly reported her saying that she hasn’t splurged on anything yet. C’mon, girl! Not even one teeny tiny Fendi bag!? “I live a very frugal life and spend my money on good food and products,” Shailene told WebMD. [caption id="attachment_31025" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Phillip Faraone/GettyImages[/caption] Clearly, Woodley knows what’s truly worth it — quality products that you actually need rather than frivolous items that put a huge dent in your wallet. She also doesn’t buy a lot, famously saying she can fit all her personal items in one suitcase. Net worth: $9 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This famous radio host loves shopping at Target.
6. Charlamagne tha GodHe’s most well known for hosting radio show “The Breakfast Show,” also known as “The World’s Most Dangerous Morning Show.” Becoming famous off of his radio show and podcast and becoming a bestselling author definitely has given Charlamagne financial stability. He’s told the media that he likes shopping at Target despite being able to afford Bloomingdale’s. [caption id="attachment_31026" align="aligncenter" width="720"] Christopher Polk/GettyImages[/caption] Herald Weekly says he also likes wearing statement hoodies that fans send and items from up and coming African American designers. Some celebrities might instead wear luxury designers which will cost them a fortune. Net worth: $10 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This actress could have bought a much more expensive house considering her wealth.
7. Ellen PagePage is mostly known for her starring role in the indie flick written by Diablo Cody, Juno. With a net worth of $14 million according to Celebrity Net Worth, you might expect her to purchase a home for more than $885,000. Ellen Page’s understated two-bedroom home was purchased for that amount in 2011, reports Best Life. [caption id="attachment_31033" align="aligncenter" width="720"] Nicholas Hunt/GettyImages[/caption] That’s just a mere portion of her entire net worth, the online publication notes. The Studio City abode includes a pool, palm trees in the backyard, vaulted ceilings, and minimal decor. Net worth: $14 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: The words “rock star” and “simplicity” typically don’t go together.
8. Brandon BoydHe’s mainly known for being the lead singer of alternative rock band Incubus. You’ll probably guffaw when you read the price Boyd paid for his simple cabin-like home in Santa Monica. You might also be inflamed enough to compose an angry email to the author wondering why she included the singer on this list. [caption id="attachment_31032" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Ethan Miller/GettyImages[/caption] But before you do, listen to this: Yes, Boyd paid $2.3 million for this small cabin, but check out the simplicity of the home. He could have purchased a gigantic mansion but decided to live simply. We could probably take a page out of Brandon Boyd’s book! Net worth: $15 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This former teen vampire slayer is now a notorious coupon queen.
9. Sarah Michelle GellarWho doesn’t love a good deal? Some celebrities like Sarah Michelle Gellar also love loading up on coupons like you and I to score sweet deals at their favorite stars. “I clip coupons all the time,” she told SELF magazine. “Why should you pay more for something that someone else is paying less for?” [caption id="attachment_31061" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Alison Buck/GettyImages[/caption] Gellar and husband Freddie Prinze Jr. do like going to premiere fancy pants market Whole Foods, but usually stick to stuff that’s on sale — even fish. “We ask which fish is on sale,” Gellar told SELF. “On sale doesn’t mean it’s bad! It probably just means it’s over caught.” Net worth: $20 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This Good Place star might be guilty of stealing neighbors’ coupons…
10. Kristen Bell“I may or may not have stolen them out of my neighbors’ mailboxes sometimes,” Kristin Bell (right) once told Conan O’Brien in an interview. “I wouldn’t have done it in the dark of night. But if I’m walking my dogs past and I see it sticking out, I may or may not have grabbed it more than once.” [caption id="attachment_31068" align="aligncenter" width="600"] DisneyParks/GettyImages[/caption] The actress has a particular fondness for Bed Bath & Beyond coupons. More evidence of her frugalness — her wedding to Dax Sheppard only cost $142. Net worth: $20 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: Her finances were revealed when she divorced from her ex-husband. The media was astounded at her minimal spending.
11. Zooey DeschanelTMZ broke the news that the New Girl star was divorcing from her then-husband Ben Gibbard in 2012. With that, the celebrity-centric site unearthed Zooey Deschanel’s financial information that her lawyer included with the divorce filing. Her financial health was in immaculate shape! The documents said Deschanel made an average of $95,000 monthly. [caption id="attachment_31070" align="aligncenter" width="720"] Frazer Harrison/GettyImages[/caption] She had over $1 million in the bank and over $1 million invested. Deschanel had three credit cards — all of which had a zero balance. Her monthly spending was definitely more than the average American but surprisingly minimal considering her star status. Net worth: $25 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: He’s been notoriously vocal about living a non-lavish lifestyle.
12. Shia LaBeoufThe star of the Transformers series isn’t ashamed of growing up poor, raised by starving artist parents. “Like Hemingway said, you can’t write anything if you’ve never been shot at or been gorged by a bull, you know?,” Shia LaBeouf told Parade. “So I look back at that stuff and I’m grateful. It’s like scars. You become proud of them.” [caption id="attachment_31078" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Larry Busacca/GettyImages[/caption] He’s often been outspoken against greed culture and says it’s part of pop culture. “People don’t look at that character, Gordon Gekko, and see an enemy,” LaBeouf said. “Well, that’s our pop culture. That’s its values.” Net worth: $25 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: She’s one of TV’s highest paid actresses.
13. Mariska HargitayLike Shia LaBeouf, Mariska Hargitay grew up poor. Her upbringing has influenced her to keep saving — despite making thousands per episode of Law & Order. “I make a lot now, but I don’t feel that way, because I was poor and had no money for a lot longer than I’ve had it,” Yahoo reported Hargitay saying. [caption id="attachment_31081" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Jenny Anderson/GettyImages[/caption] “As an actor, if this show ends next year, then what? As an aging woman, then what? I’m saving money to live on, for the future. There are not that many roles for women, and I’ve been blessed with one of the great ones.” She has a point! Net worth: $50 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This rapper bought a house for a little over half a million.
14. Kendrick LamarRapper Kendrick Lamar has often written lyrics about materialism’s dangers. (See his song “Vanity Slaves Pt. 2.”) Judging by his humble abode in Eastvale in Riverside County, he practices what he preaches! HuffPo reported in 2014 that Lamar purchased a home for just over $500,000 not too far from his roots in Compton. [caption id="attachment_31083" align="aligncenter" width="720"] Matt Winkelmeyer/GettyImages[/caption] It’s an hour away from Los Angeles, the center of entertainment. We’d think he’d buy a mansion considering he’s a multimillionaire. Talk about keeping down to Earth! Especially for someone GQ named “Rapper of the Year.” Net worth: $55 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: We got ourselves another coupon queen over here!
15. Renee ZellwegerLike Mariska Hargitay and Shia LeBeouf, Renee Zellweger came from humble roots. Herald Weekly reports that her parents were immigrants that came to the United States with absolutely nothing. The Bridget Jones Diary series star doesn’t have to live frugally anymore but she does according to reports. Like Kristen Bell, she uses coupons! [caption id="attachment_31084" align="aligncenter" width="720"] Cole Bennetts/GettyImages[/caption] She also always remembers to turn off the lights in the house and recycles. “I’ve never been the sort of person who takes things for granted, and I’m not an acquisitions girl,” Zellweger once told the Daily Record. Net worth: $60 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: She was once homeless. Now she’s worth millions.
16. Halle BerryBefore starring in Catwoman and other major motion pictures, Halle Berry was once homeless and had to spend some time in a women’s shelter. Berry’s mother decided against sending her daughter money when she was in a financial rut — “tough love” we call that! [caption id="attachment_31128" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Pascal Le Segretain/GettyImages[/caption] MoneyWise said that the Monster’s Ball star often shops at CVS and rummages sales racks. “I’m saving for that day so I can have a life that is secure and comfortable,” MoneyWise reported her as saying. Net worth: $80 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This former American Idol star is into couponing like other stars on our list.
17. Carrie UnderwoodThe country singer details a day in the life on Rachel Ray’s website which includes coupon clipping of course! “Doing the weekly shopping, I stock up on stir-fry kits, Amy’s meatless burgers, and armloads of onions and garlic,” Underwood writes. “I put onions and garlic in everything. Ack — as usual, I forgot my coupons. (Yes, I do clip them!)” [caption id="attachment_31129" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Mike Coppola/GettyImages[/caption] Who can’t relate to forgetting your coupons at home? Underwood also details making homemade lunches to bring to work or buying a Veggie Delite from Subway. Despite her massive net worth, this vegan singer is making economical food decisions. Net worth: $85 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: Frugalness was instilled in this model at a young age.
18. Tyra BanksNot many models make it to the superstar status that Tyra Banks has risen to. Despite her multi-million dollar net worth, she told the New York Times that she remains quite frugal. “I am frugal. I’ve always been this way,” Banks told the newspaper. “When I was young, my mom would give me my allowance,” [caption id="attachment_31130" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Jean Baptiste Lacroix/GettyImages[/caption] “And I’d peel off a little each week and have some to spare.” It’s important that parents teach their children at a young age to manage their money carefully. They’ll likely reach financial wellness this way. Net worth: $90 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This singer-songwriter uses his student account for discounts.
19. Ed SheeranEven one of the most popular musicians in the world believes in budgeting. The helpful financial habit helps consumers make sure they don’t spend too much and save up for the future. “‘You never want to be wasteful,’ he explains, before revealing there’s no black credit card in his wallet either,” writes the Irish Examiner of Sheeran’s money habits. [caption id="attachment_31131" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Jamie McCarthy/GettyImages[/caption] “[I use] my Barclays student account. I’ve not upgraded because I don’t spend much money. If I had all my money in one account I would spend all of it, so I get an allowance,” Sheeran told the Irish Examiner. Net worth: $100 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This next frugal star is best known for films like Dirty Harry.
20. Clint EastwoodHerald Weekly says that you might think that Mr. Eastwood has a ton of fancy cars available at his disposal judging by what we’ve seen in some of his movies. However, the publication says that the actor and director loves cruising around in his old GMC Typhoon — a nice, humble-looking SUV. [caption id="attachment_31437" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Harry How/GettyImages[/caption] Compared to his cars, his homes aren’t as modest. There’s the meticulously restored Carmel’s Mission Ranch and his beautiful $9.75 million Pebble Beach estate. The ranch isn’t as showy as some celebrity homes — it’s a simple looking property in a secluded area. In any case, it makes sense to have luxury homes rather than just a luxury car. Net worth: $375 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: She’s responsible with money but her Sex and the City character isn’t!
21. Sarah Jessica ParkerCarrie Bradshaw might have no qualms with dropping hundreds on stilettos but the actress that portrays her on HBO’s Sex and the City show certainly does. Sarah Jessica Parker told Parade magazine that she doesn’t spoil her son despite earning tons of money. Growing up on welfare with a family of eight influences that decision. [caption id="attachment_31442" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Jamie McCarthy/GettyImages[/caption] “[My son] only wears hand-me-downs,” Parker told Parade. “I think it’s incumbent on my husband and me to…show James Wilkie by example what it means to owe your community something and that he is not entitled to the benefits of our hard work.” Net worth: $100 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This Hunger Games actress has lived in the same apartment for years.
22. Jennifer LawrenceShe’s beloved by fans and made a ton of money for her starring roles in the Hunger Games series and Silver Linings Playbook. However, she tells media outlets that she still lives simply and doesn’t buy incredibly lavish things often. She’s lived in the same Los Angeles apartment for a long time and drives a simple Volkswagen Eos. [caption id="attachment_31134" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Pascal Le Segretain/GettyImages[/caption] (That’s at least according to a Business Insider and Insider article from 2013 and 2018.) “I was raised to have value for money, to have respect for money, even though you have a lot of it,” she told the U.K. magazine Fabulous in 2013. Net worth: $130 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: He’s a rock star that doesn’t buy more than he needs.
23. Dave GrohlWhat do you think musician Dave Grohl does when he makes thousands from one concert with his band Foo Fighters? “It goes straight into my bank account, where it turns all moldy and smelly,” the musician told The Red Bulletin. Probably not what you expected from the drummer of the famous Seattle-based grunge band Nirvana! [caption id="attachment_31135" align="aligncenter" width="720"] Kevin Winter/GettyImages[/caption] “I drive a family car — not a monster SUV but a family car that fits five people. I’ve got a house that is just big enough, too.” What can we learn from Grohl? Perhaps not buying more than you need and saving as much as you can. Net worth: $280 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: She doesn’t understand all the people on her case for shopping for a bargain.
24. Lady Gaga“Why do people look at me like I’m crazy when I use coupons at grocery or try bargaining at retail, IM FROM NEW YORK WHERE IS THE SALE RACK,” Lady Gaga tweeted to her fans December of 2012. Despite being a multi-millionaire, that hasn’t stopped the singer of hits like “Poker Face” and “Bad Romance” from getting into coupons! [caption id="attachment_31440" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Kevork Djansezian/GettyImages[/caption] If you thought that you were the only one delving into couponing, you’re wrong! All sorts of celebrities and people get into it so they can save a buck or two. Why pay full price when you can get it for half the price? Net worth: $300 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: He gave a large part of his earnings from the Matrix away.
25. Keanu ReevesNot many multi-millionaires and celebrities are as down to Earth as Keanu Reeves is. Herald Weekly says that the Matrix star has often been spotted take public transportation, eating at what they called “common restaurants” and hanging out at the park. Guess what he did with 80 percent of his Matrix earnings? [caption id="attachment_31438" align="aligncenter" width="720"] Mirco Lazzari gp/GettyImages[/caption] Herald Weekly said Reeves “has already given over 80 percent of his earnings to the special effects and costume design team.” That’s so nice! They really deserved it. Net worth: $360 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: He lives off the money he makes from stand-up and puts the rest in savings.
26. Jay LenoUnlike Clint Eastwood, Jay Leno is waaaay more into cars. However, he’s still responsible with his money despite all the cars he owns. Insider writes: “Living a ‘frugal’ lifestyle has shifting definitions for everyone. Jay Leno, for example, has more than 100 cars, but he also saved all the money he earned from his late-night show.” [caption id="attachment_31444" align="aligncenter" width="720"] Alberto E. Rodriguez/GettyImages[/caption] Insider also says the late-night star has always had two jobs — spending money from one job and saving money from the other. Seems like a good way to go! Net worth: $400 million according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: He only accepts a $1 annual salary but his net worth is in the billions.
27. Mark ZuckerbergInterestingly, the tech executive only takes a $1 annual salary as of 2013. He doesn’t receive any bonuses either. Forbes says that “One dollar pay suggests that a CEO is really looking out for shareholders.” Zuckerberg isn’t the only CEO doing this — executives from Google, Oracle and Hewlett-Packard have done the same thing. [caption id="attachment_31448" align="aligncenter" width="720"] Chip Somodevilla/GettyImages[/caption] However, Forbes reported in 2019 that Facebook’s board of directors granted Zuckerberg a $10 million yearly allowance to pay for security. These precautions were due to the shooting rampage at YouTube’s headquarters in spring 2018. Net worth: $50 billion according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: This billionaire prefers eating junk food over fancy restaurants.
28. Warren BuffettThe Berkshire Hathaway CEO still lives in the same five-bedroom house in Omaha he bought for $31,500 in 1958, says Insider. If that wasn’t fascinating enough, Buffet also doesn’t have a lavish diet composed of all Whole Foods groceries and five-star restaurants. Business Insider says he’s more into soda and junk food. [caption id="attachment_31450" align="aligncenter" width="720"] Eric Francis/GettyImages[/caption] Buffet also consumes a very limited amount of vegetables but loads up on five cans of soda daily, over-salts his food and often snacks on See’s Candies. Business Insider tried Warren Buffet’s diet for a week and described it as “miserable.” Net worth: $82 billion according to Celebrity Net Worth NEXT: His predecessors weren’t as frugal as he is to many’s surprise.
29. Pope FrancisCompared to past popes, Pope Francis lives a modest life. Insider writes this of the holy one’s living quarters: “He chose not to live in the Papal Apartments of Vatican City, instead sticking to a relatively modest three-room dormitory in one of the Vatican’s guesthouses.” Popes of the past lived more like kings! [caption id="attachment_31454" align="aligncenter" width="600"] Francois Nel/GettyImages[/caption] For example, Pope Benedict ordered an intense three-month renovation of his living quarters, says Insider. A dental office and room for his piano was part of the renovation. Oh and get this: He also commissioned his own custom cologne just for him alone to use.]]>
The Most Expensive Boarding Schools In The United States, Ranked
When it comes to getting an education and ultimately going away to university, a good boarding school can do wonders for your child. It can mean a brighter future and more opportunities. With that, parents are shelling out thousands upon thousands of dollars to see their kids get educated at these amazing boarding schools. Here’s what makes these places so wonderful.
Here’s What Actually Happens When You Substitute Engine Oil With WD-40
How far would you be willing to go for the rest of mankind? This group of friends wanted to test the limits of WD-40, believing that it could serve as a proper substitute for engine oil. But when they actually went through with the experiment, they ran into some hot water. Things got scary, and fast – but for these young men, it became the adventure of a lifetime.
Get Packing! These Surprising Cities Have The Most Job Openings In 2020
For young grads, or anyone looking for a new start, finding a job can be difficult. Luckily, Glassdoor has compiled a list of cities that have a multitude of new job openings. Whether you’re searching for a job in tech, or teaching, these cities have something for everyone. Check out this list featuring the surprising cities now hiring.