United Airlines Passenger Stung by a Scorpion on a Calgary-Bound Flight
This week looks like the worst week for United Airlines. After a drag-and-drop incident of passenger that went viral on social media, here comes another turbulence on the airline’s already troubled name. A Canadian man claimed that he was stung by a scorpion while on board. To make matters worse, this happened the same day a doctor was dragged off and removed from a United flight.
The poisonous arachnid fell on Richard Bell’s head while he was having his lunch on a business class seat. “We boarded the plane and we were on the plane about an hour having dinner and something fell on my head so I grabbed it. I was hanging onto it and then it uh … realized what it was and my neighbor was a gentleman from Mexico and he said, “That’s a scorpion and they’re dangerous!’ So I dropped it on my tray and I went to grab it again and that’s when I got stung,” he narrated to CBC News.
“It stung like a wasp stinging you, you know? It stung me on the thumb, right next to my nail. I kinda flicked it onto the floor. We covered it up with a cup so it wouldn’t get around and then got outta the chair, and we hit it with a shoe. And the guy sitting next to us said the lighter they are, the more poisonous they are, and this one was very light. It was about an inch and a quarter inch and a half long, and that’s the size that are dangerous too. It was lucky that it hit my nail more than my skin, I think. Maybe my thumbnail saved me a little bit,” he continued.
Bell’s wife, Linda, said flight attendants were quick to respond and get rid of the scorpion by flushing it down the toilet. However, it is still unclear how the scorpion got on the plane’s overhead bin.
United confirm the incident and said their flight attendants assisted Richard when he was stung ‘by what appeared to be a scorpion’. United stated, “Our crew immediately consulted with a MedLink physician on the ground who provided guidance throughout the incident and assured our crew that it was not a life-threatening matter.” A medical professional went to see the customer when the plane landed in Calgary.
One passenger, John Roger, added that emergency personnel, police, and fire department boarded the plane after Richard was bitten by a scorpion. Linda also confirmed that United apologized for the incident and offered compensation.
More in News
Man Walks for Miles to Find Donor For Wife Who Needs Kidneys
74-year-old Wayne Winters is all over the news because of his inspiring act of walking for miles every day just to...Nov 10, 2017
Are We on the Brink of World War III? This Is What Experts Say Could Happen
The next great world altercation will be like none ever seen before. With technology advancing at a rapid pace, humans now...Oct 30, 2017
Letter Found in Titanic Wreckage Now Priced at $166,000 at British Auction
A day before the Titanic sank, a man named Alexander Oskar Holverson wrote a letter to his mom. Although the letter...Oct 25, 2017
11-Year-Old Science Prodigy Develops Water Detecting Device for Lead
Sometimes great ideas come from unexpected places, like when 11-year-old science prodigy Gitanjali Rao from Lone Tree, Colorado developed a game-changing...Oct 22, 2017
Airline Agrees Long Flights Are Boring, Hires In-Flight Live Theater Group
Future travelers of Icelandair airline, your carry-on bag just got a whole lot lighter. Leave your headphones, tablet and magazines at...Oct 10, 2017
Facebook Bands Together To Help Rescue This Trapped Woman
August 13th, 2017 was shaping up to be another ordinary day for 61-year-old Leslie Kahn. The afternoon weather was simply perfect,...Oct 1, 2017
Soldier Kidnapped In Iraq Reveals Details Of Her Imprisonment, But It’s Not What The Media Says
The stories of military heroes are forever embedded in the annals of history, and most armies stand firm on never leaving...Sep 12, 2017
Paris Apartment Frozen in Time for 70 Years Reveals a Valuable Secret
It was supposed to be an appraisal like any other after an elderly woman died in the south of France. The...Sep 10, 2017
When a Mexican Resort Dream Getaway Turned into a Nightmare
Heidi and Corey Sorrem were looking forward to a dream getaway at a Mexican resort, famous for its exotic beaches, archaeological...Sep 7, 2017