Five-Year-Old Saves Little Brother from Choking Thanks to First Aid Class
When 3-year-old Stanley Bevans suddenly choked on a meatball, his 5-year-old brother, Oliver came to his aid by slapping him on the back until the meatball came out. The act may be easily dismissed by Oliver but little does he know that what he did actually save the life of his younger brother — and it’s thanks to a simple first aid class the little boy took at school just days before.
“He choked on a meatball first and then I smacked him on the back three times, the meatball came out and then he was better. Then he had some Calpol and he had some juice,” shared Oliver in an interview with BBC News.
The boys were at their grandmother’s house when the incident happened. Apparently, their grandmother had just stepped out for a bit and when she returned, Oliver told her all about the incident.
While it may have been a brotherly instinct that prompt Oliver to do what he did, it was also fortunate that the toddler learned about first aid in school a week before the accidental choking.
His mother and the rest of the family believe that Oliver is a hero for saving Stanley.
“I don’t think he’ll ever realize what he has done for his brother. I hope, obviously, in a year’s time we’ll keep telling him what he’s done but you don’t think a five-year-old could be as calm and collected and do that,” said the toddlers’ mother.
Oliver’s action supports a study published in the Scandinavian Journal of Trauma, Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine in 2011 about the “Effects of First Aid Training in the Kindergarten”, which revealed that “first aid training of 4-5-year old children in the kindergarten is feasible and leads to increased knowledge, skills and most important motivation to provide first aid.”
The first aid training that Oliver learned in school definitely helped him to stay calm, focused, and collected during a supposedly panic-inducing situation.
More in News
South African Child May Have Be First Person ‘Cured’ of HIV
A case of 9-year-old South African child diagnosed with HIV as a baby may be the first known case of somebody...Jul 25, 2017
After a Millennium of Extinction, Lynx Cats Might Make a Comeback
The Lynx UK Trust, an organization composed primarily of conservationist and scientists specializing in wild cats, is currently seeking licenses to...Jul 22, 2017
Toddler Makes Miraculous Recovery After Not Breathing for Hours
Two-year-old Eden Carlson accidentally fell into the family’s swimming pool last February 29, 2016, and was found by her mother without...Jul 22, 2017
Qatar Developing Cooling Hard Hat to Help Construction Workers Survive Grueling Outdoor Heat
Qatar is currently constructing several stadiums that will serve as venues for the upcoming 2022 World Cup and while it may...Jul 20, 2017
Apparently, Monkeys Can Tell When Something is ‘Fair’
Leading primatologist Frans de Waal carried out a test with monkeys showing how animals understand the concept of equality and equal...Jul 11, 2017
Pregnant Woman Hit By a Lightning Delivers Healthy Baby Boy
On June 29, Meghan Davidson was taking a simple stroll when the unthinkable happened: she was struck by lightning. Making things...Jul 10, 2017
Man Walks Miles To Work Every Day Until Strangers Do Something Amazing
Justin Korva, 20-year-old resident of Rockwall, walked three miles to work every day under the cruel Texas sun. On one simmering...Jul 9, 2017
This Brave Boy Took a Huge Risk to Save A Small Child In Danger
In matters of life and death, police and the fire department are the rescuers one would expect to solve the problem...Jul 9, 2017
Dad Jumps into Action After Stranger Tries Kidnapping Son in Duffel Bag
An Indiana father is being commended after stopping his son’s abduction after he used his fatherly instincts and went full “beast...Jul 4, 2017