8 Tips for Better Sleep
Do you get enough sleep? If you are like most people on the planet, you do not. The National Sleep Foundation (NSF) recommends least seven hours of shut eye a night. Despite this, tens of millions of people suffer from insomnia. Many people turn to drugs such as Ambien to help then sleep. The problem with these remedies is that they can lead to sleepwalking, sleep driving and even sleep sex.
Tips for Better Sleep:
- Practice good “sleep hygiene.” This means you should:
- Go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning. This helps set your “body clock.”
- Limit naps during the day.
- Do not do aerobic exercise right before bed.
- Do not look at a screen before bed (it stimulates hormones that tell your body to wake up).
- If you can’t get to sleep, get up and do something else. Sleep doctors recommend getting up after 30 minutes and reading a book or magazine.
- Try to relax. Meditation can help, as can soothing music. There is a negative feedback loop that people get into when they toss and turn in bed. The process produces stress, which makes it harder to dose off. You can see how this can snowball into a real problem.
- Get your sleep space as comfortable as you can. This may seem simple but many people stay awake because the aren’t comfortable.
- Get more exercise during the day. Working out earlier in the day can help you drift off at night.
- Don’t eat right before you go to bed. This can lead to heartburn and other problems. Of course, you do not want to be super hungry either so a small snack is ok.
- Set a date to worry. Many people stay awake because they are stressed. If you find squirrels running around your head, set a time to play with them. When you start to worry, remind yourself, “I will deal with you on Wednesday at noon.” It sounds crazy but it works.
- Try melatonin. This is a supplement that you can get over the counter. It is the same substance your body releases to naturally fall asleep.
Insomnia sucks. It is also terrible for your health. These tips can help and in a way that won’t have you doing crazy things while you are out. Unlike the 10 people in this video.
More in How To
Can You Pass a 1950s Home Economics Class?Jul 25, 2017
Cat Litter in Your Toilet? Here’s How to Fix That!
Has clumping cat litter gotten into your plumbing? It can be disastrous if it does. If this has never happened to...Mar 7, 2017
How to Throw a Party on a Budget: DIY Guide
Planning a party can be fun and stressful, not to mention it can really break your bank if not planned well....Mar 7, 2017
How to Throw an Amazing New Year’s Eve Party on a Budget
It’s not a bright move to start off a new year immersed in debt. That’s why your New Year resolution should...Dec 30, 2016
Life-Hacking the Perfect New Year’s Celebration
Humans customize everything: recipes, products, and smartphones, to name a few. Why should New Year’s Eve be any exception? Don’I suffer...Dec 19, 2016
Snapchat Spectacles: How And Where To Get Your Own Pair
As you probably heard by now, Snapchat is selling smart glasses that can be used to record video from the wearer’s...Dec 9, 2016
Avoiding Cyber Monday Scams While Shopping Online
For many years, Black Friday signifies the start of holiday shopping, and many people usually take the day off work to...Nov 28, 2016
5 Ways To Simplify Black Friday Shopping
Black Friday is upon us, and everyone is looking forwards to nabbing to the cheapest deals. Despite the popularity of the shopping...Nov 24, 2016
Spiderlicous No Bake Oreo Cheesecake Prefect for Halloween
This creepylicious no-bake Oreo cheesecake is the perfect addition to any Halloween party, but it could also make a scrumptious dessert for...Oct 30, 2016